Friday 17 August 2012

Roundabouts and Road Maps

This afternoon I made my way down to the Royal Bath and West Showground to spend the next five days at Momentum.

Although I have made the journey about 10 times before, I can never fully picture the route. I forget how many roundabouts there are and whether I turn right or left at them.

However, I have come to stop worrying about making the right turning or knowing my whole route in advance. Every time I came to a junction or a roundabout, I found that I instinctively knew the way and remembered it from the past.

I wish that I had the same faith and confidence in my journey with God.

Instead, I often find myself longing to know the whole route before I've even taken the first step. I want to know in advance how many 'roundabouts' I'll encounter and how many junctions there are. I want to have warning of any roadworks or delays.

I don't like not knowing.

But I am realising slowly that maybe I don't need to know everything in advance. Maybe all I need to know is the One who is leading me and guiding me.

God says in Isaiah,

"Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, 'This is the way; walk in it.'"

[Isaiah 30:21 NIV]

I don't need to know the route in advance. I don't need a road map which depicts my entire journey. I just need to know the One who knows. And the more I get to know Him, the more easily I will recognise His voice.

And, when the time comes, I will know whether to turn to the right or to the left.

No comments:

Post a Comment