Wednesday 8 August 2012

Weak Knees

Yesterday I had a physio appointment as I have had problems with my left knee for years:  I can't kneel down without it dislocating and getting stuck.  

The physio tested the strength of my muscles in each leg and I was astonished by the difference.  Whilst I could balance comfortably on my right leg, I wobbled like a weeble when I tried the same on my left leg.  When she created resistance for my right leg, I hardly noticed, but when she did the same for my left leg, I could barely move it.

She has given me a range of exercises to try and strengthen the muscles in my left leg, so that my knee is more likely to stay in place.  I gave them a go this morning and although they are quite simple lifts and stretches, I watched as my leg shuddered and trembled in front of me with the effort. 

I am meant to complete 10 repetitions of each exercise every day.  I had to force myself to do 5 because it was so painful.

I had no idea my left leg was so weak.

I was reminded, ironically, of this verse in Hebrews 12 -
"Therefore, strengthen your feeble arms and weak knees."
[Hebrews 12:12 NIV]

It's part of a wider encouragement to us to persevere and to endure discipline so that what is weak and feeble may be strengthened.  The concept of training and discipline applies both physically and spiritually.  We don't get fit or strong without putting in the work.

"For our earthly fathers disciplined us for a few years, doing the best they knew how. But God’s discipline is always good for us, so that we might share in his holiness.  No discipline is enjoyable while it is happening—it’s painful! But afterwards there will be a peaceful harvest of right living for those who are trained in this way.  So take a new grip with your tired hands and strengthen your weak knees.  Mark out a straight path for your feet so that those who are weak and lame will not fall but become strong."
[Hebrew 12:10-13 NLT]

'Training' and strengthening the muscles in my left leg is agonising.  But my leg will only get stronger (and, therefore, my knee will only be less likely to dislocate), if I persevere.  I am hopeful that in a couple of weeks I will be able to make it to 10 repetitions without feeling that my leg is on fire.

It is hard work, but I am sure it will be worth it. 

In the same way, accepting God's 'training' and discipline in our lives is hard and humbling, but it is worth it.  It draws us closer to Him.  It deepens our relationship with Him.  It makes us more like Him. 



No comments:

Post a Comment