Saturday 25 August 2012

What's the Catch?

I've been shopping today for the first time in a while and I was amazed by how many sales and 'offers' there were around.
 
£20 off when you spend £100.  Come in to claim your free gift worth £15.  Buy two, get one free.
 
Offers which, on the surface, seem good. 
 
But there is always a catch.
 
I have to spend £100 to get £20 off.  I have to purchase several items and sign up to monthly emails to get a 'free' gift.  I have to buy two of something (which I might not even need or want), in order to get a third (again, which I might neither need nor want), for 'free'.
 
'Free' doesn't really mean 'free' anymore, does it?
 
There is always a catch.
 
Is that why we struggle to accept Jesus' words and promises?  Eternal life, forgiveness for all of the things we've done wrong, and a restoration of our relationship with our heavenly Father.  For free?
 
Is there a catch?
 
Yes. 
 
But not for us. 
 
Jesus has already paid the price to secure these things for us.  He laid down His perfect, flawless life as a sacrifice, or an exchange, for us.  He, quite literally, paid the cost on our behalf, so that we can enjoy the freedom that that brings.  We can have eternal life, we can receive forgiveness for the things that we've done wrong and our relationship with our heavenly Father can be restored.
 
Because Jesus paid the price.
"God made Christ, who never sinned, to be the offering for our sin, so that we could be made right with God through Christ."
[2 Corinthians 5:21 NLT]
 
In the examples from my shopping experience: Jesus has paid the £100, I just get to use the £20 off.  He has purchased several items and signed up for the emails; I get the free gift.  He has bought two items and given me the third for free.
 
It is free only because Jesus has paid the cost.  We get all of the benefits without having to pay any of the costs.
 
Is there a catch?  Yes.  But Jesus has already paid it for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment