Friday 7 December 2012

Away In A Manger

I don't often think of God - or Jesus - as a baby.

I think of God the Father, God the Son, God the Holy Spirit.  God my Strength, God my Stronghold, God my Tower.  God my King, God my Lord, God my Saviour.  God my Hope, God my Peace, God my Healer.  God my Bridegroom, God my Friend, God my Redeemer.

But I received this beautiful Christmas card yesterday, along with my birthday cards and the image of Jesus as a baby really struck me.
 
photo.JPG
 
Jesus as a baby is weak and vulnerable.  He is completely dependent on the loving kindness of His parents.  His life is in their hands.
 
I often wonder why Jesus came to earth as a baby: God could have stepped down into this world as a fully-grown man and could have started His ministry immediately.  He could have had one or two years of preaching Good News and healing the sick and then still died on the cross.
 
So why did He come to earth as a tiny, helpless baby?
 
God isn't interested in a quick fix.  He's playing the long game.  He was more concerned about living His life alongside us and being a part of our lives, than He was about His own comfort and convenience.
 
The Bible describes Jesus becoming human this way,
 
        "[Jesus] who, being in very nature God,
        did not consider equality with God something to be grasped,
        but made himself nothing,
        taking the very nature of a servant,
        being made in human likeness.
        And being found in appearance as a man,
        he humbled himself
        and became obedient to death
        even death on a cross!"
 
       [Philippians 2:6-8 NIV]
 
In order to empathise with us and to understand our struggles and temptations, Jesus made Himself completely like us.  He humbled Himself so that He could fully understand our humanity.
 
I love this verse from the beginning of John's gospel, too -
 
"So the Word became human and made his home among us.  He was full of unfailing love and faithfulness.  And we have seen his glory, the glory of the Father’s one and only Son."
 
        [John 1:14 NLT]
 
Jesus made his home among us.  He didn't just pop to earth for a brief visit.  He came to stay and to live alongside us, in all the messiness of our lives.  He came as a baby so that He could grow up among us and enter into our humanity.
 
I love this section of Hark the Herald Angels Sing about Jesus becoming a baby:
 
       "Veiled in flesh the Godhead see
       Hail the incarnate Deity
       Pleased as man with man to dwell
       Jesus, our Emmanuel
       Hark! The herald angels sing
       'Glory to the newborn King!'"
 
Jesus died for us as a man.  But He came to us as a baby.  Vulnerable and humble and longing to be loved.






No comments:

Post a Comment