Tuesday 18 December 2012

Who Am I?

I've been rewatching one of my favourite American soaps over the past few days: Ugly Betty.  In one episode, Amanda is trying to find her birth father, after discovering that she is adopted.  She says that she will struggle to know who she is until she knows who her father is.  She says, If I don't know where I've come from, how can I know who I am?
 
I think it's the same with us sometimes: we don't really know where or who we've come from and, therefore, we don't really know who we are.
 
But Jesus was confident about who He was and where He had come from.  He knew to whom He belonged.
 
This is one of my most favourite verses in the Bible:
"Jesus knew that the Father had put all things under his power, and that he had come from God and was returning to God."
 
[John 13:3 NIV]
 
Jesus was completely confident of who He was, where He had come from and where He was going, so He was able to serve others whole-heartedly, without seeking His identity in them. 

He knew who His Father was.

It can be the same for us, if we want it: we can know and understand who our Father - our heavenly Father - is.  We can know and understand our pasts and we can know where we have come from.

And it is in understanding these things that we can understand who we really are.


No comments:

Post a Comment