Friday 21 December 2012

Letting Go

I've just been watching the film 'The Wedding Date' which I haven't seen before. 
 
At the beginning of the film, the main character - Kat - is struggling to hand over an envelope (containing some flight tickets) to a messenger.  They tug the envelope back and forth between them for a couple of minutes, before Kat finally says, "I'm trying to let go, but I might need some help."
 
The messenger eventually physically removes Kat's hands from the envelope, so that she can let go.
 
Sometimes I know that I am trying to let go of things, but I need help.
 
I need someone to step in and remove my hands from the things that I'm holding on to. 
 
Sometimes I hold on to things because it is comfortable and familiar and safe, even though there is no life left in them.  But whilst I am holding on to these things and my hands are full with the past, I am unable to receive anything new.  I am unable to look to the future with excitement and anticipation.
 
Isaiah spoke about the need to let go and look to the future:
 
        "Forget about what’s happened;
        don’t keep going over old history.
        Be alert, be present.  I’m about to do something brand-new.
        It’s bursting out!  Don’t you see it?"
 
        [Isaiah 43:18 MSG]



When we fix our eyes and our hearts and our attention on the things we're holding on to, when we keep going over old history, we miss what God might be doing right now.  We miss the new things that He is bringing to life.
 
Sometimes we have to let go in order to let God release new things in our lives. 

 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment