Saturday 8 December 2012

Post And Parcels

I had to collect a parcel from the Post Office this morning.  I have never seen a longer queue there before.  It stretched halfway down the street and I thought I was going to be there for ever.
 
I always find it frustrating when I have to go and pick up a parcel, because I've missed the delivery, or because it won't fit through my small letterbox.  I wonder if there are any parcels that remain uncollected, or undelivered, or unreceived.
 
It made me think about this verse in John's Gospel about Jesus -  
"Yet to all who received him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God children born not of natural descent,nor of human decision or a husband’s will, but born of God."
 [John 1:12 NIV]
 
Whilst Jesus came to bring peace to men and reconcile us to God, we have to receive what Jesus did.  We have to accept the delivery, so to speak, or go to the metaphorical Post Office to collect what He has sent us.
 
I read this in a book this morning, which I think explains this idea beautifully:
"When Jesus died on the cross, he made it possible for everyone to be forgiven.  In a sense, he extended the offer of forgiveness to everyone on earth.  The question is not: Has God forgiven you?  The question is: Have you received God's forgiveness?  I like to compare it to my writing you a cheque for one million dollars.  If I have a million dollars in the bank and I write you a cheque, I have done all I can to make you a millionaire.  But if you want to become a millionaire, you need to engage in the process.  You have to take my cheque down to the bank and open up a savings account.  You only become a millionaire by making use of the money I give you."
 
God has done all He can: He has reached out to us by sending His Son to live with us and die for us.  But we need to 'cash in' what He has given us.  We need to consciously and actively and intentionally receive Him if we want to enjoy the peace and restoration He offers.



 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment