Saturday 29 December 2012

Shopping In The Sales

I went sales shopping today and was surprised at how quiet it was, compared to what I was expecting.

The post-Christmas sales tend to be incredibly busy with people rushing around, desperate to get more for their money.

I was amazed at some of the adverts on Christmas day for Boxing Day sales which started at 6am! It seems that, in this time of recession and financial insecurity, everyone is desperate to get the most for their money.

Everyone is hungry for more.

But I think even if I had unlimited resources, I would never be satisfied with what I could buy. I would always want more. There would always be something in me which didn't feel quite satisfied. Indeed, isn't the sole purpose of fashion to perpetuate our dissatisfaction with our lives?

It is easy to say we should be satisfied with what we have, it is so much harder to do.

There is a hunger deep inside all of us, and we try so hard to fill it and satiate it with different things.

But only one thing will satisfy.

Only one thing will give us all that we want.

"The Lord is my shepherd; I have all that I need.

[Psalm 23:1 NLT]

I love the words of this song,

"Hungry, I come to you
For I know you satisfy.
I am empty, but I know
Your love does not run dry.

So I wait for you
I wait for you."

Instead of rushing to find our satisfaction in the sales, let's take our hunger to God. And wait for Him to satisfy us.



No comments:

Post a Comment