Monday 24 December 2012

'Twas The Night Before Christmas

Call me crazy, but I think I prefer Christmas Eve to Christmas Day.

I love going to a nativity service, I love going to midnight mass, I love preparing delicious food. I love seeing friends and family and starting to exchange gifts. I love wrapping presents and putting them under the tree.

I love all of the preparations.

I love the feeling of excitement and anticipation as it gets closer to Christmas Day.

But when it comes to spiritual preparations - preparing my heart for the arrival of the Messiah - I'm not sure I'm as excited or organised.

When Isaiah is prophesying the arrival of the Messiah, he says,

"Thunder in the desert! 'Prepare for God's arrival! Make the road straight and smooth, a highway fit for our God. Fill in the valleys, level off the hills, smooth out the ruts, clear out the rocks. Then God's bright glory will shine and everyone will see it. Yes. Just as God has said.'"

[Isaiah 40:3-5 MSG]

I love this line in the carol 'Joy To The World'

"Let every heart prepare him room."

Whilst I'm finishing off my final preparations this evening, I want to give myself time to prepare my heart as well, and to make sure I prepare Him room.




No comments:

Post a Comment