Thursday 21 February 2013

Here I Am To Worship

We've been talking this evening at worship: what worship is, what it means to worship, how we worship.
 
Taken from the Old English 'weorthscipe' meaning worthiness, worship means to acknowledge the worth of
 
When we worship God, we are acknowledging who He is and, therefore, are acknowledging His worthiness.
 
But worship isn't something we do for half an hour in church on Sundays.  Or during the week when we listen to a 'worship' CD.  It's not even really about singing.
 
Yes, singing is a large and significant part of worship, but true worship is about living a life which acknowledges God's worthiness in all areas.
 
Jesus said to the Samaritan woman at the well:
"It's who you are and the way you live that count before God.  Your worship must engage your spirit in the pursuit of truth.  That's the kind of people the Father is out looking for: those who are simply and honestly themselves before him in their worship.  God is sheer being itself - Spirit.  Those who worship him must do it out of their very being, their spirits, their true selves, in adoration."
 
[John 4:24 MSG]
 
 
I love that line - those who are simply and honestly themselves before him in their worship. 

I love it and I am deeply challenged by it.  I'm not sure that I've very comfortable simply and honestly being myself: I'm not sure I feel enough.  Sometimes I like to dress myself up in different layers of disguise.  I'm not even sure I know what it means to be simply and honestly myself.

But I want to start to find out.

I want to say, as Tim Hughes sang, "Here I am to worship."

No pretense, no disguise, no distraction.  Not just here I am for 20 minutes.  But every day, every moment - here I am to worship.


 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment