Wednesday 6 February 2013

Why I Struggle With 'Holiness'

When I hear the word 'holy' in relation to a person, I think dull, boring, judgemental, critical, holier-than-thou.  I  don't imagine I will have anything in common with them and I don't really want to get to know them.
 
When I hear the word 'holy' in relation to God, I think distant, separate, untouchable, wouldn't understand.  I picture the holiness of God as something that I would be scared to approach, for fear of my own undeniable and inherent unholiness.  Even though I know the Bible says we can approach God's throne boldly through Jesus, the idea of God's holiness still makes me feel uncomfortable.
 
But when I hear holiness like this, my thoughts change:
 
"Holiness is the most attractive quality, the most intense experience we ever get of sheer life - authentic, first-hand living, not life looked at and lived from a distance ... Holiness is a furnace that transforms the men and women who enter it.
 
Wow.
 
 
This view of holiness is interesting, beautiful, attractive, life-giving, transforming, inviting.
 
And this is what Jesus offers.  Holiness, a whole-life.  Aren't they the same thing?  Holiness is a full life, a real life, an exciting life, a transformed life.  And it is a life that is possible through Jesus.
"I came so they can have real and eternal life, more and better life than they ever dreamed of."
 
[John 10:10 MSG] 
 
This is the view of holiness I want. This is the kind of holiness I want in my life.


No comments:

Post a Comment