Tuesday 19 February 2013

Single-Tasking

I am the Queen of multi-tasking.
 
And I take great pride in my ability to juggle several things at once.
 
I am nearly always doing at least two or three things at once.  And even when I am doing just one thing, my mind is always elsewhere.
 
I am always busy, always thinking about different things, always focused on several ideas.
 
I hardly ever switch off.
 
And I am exhausted.
 
So I want to learn how to stop.  I want to learn how to slow down.  I want to focus on just one thing at a time.  I want to learn how to still my heart and my mind and my soul.
 
I want to become a competent single-tasker.
 
"Be still and know that I am God."
[Psalm 46:10 NIV]
 
Without moving or doing or thinking, I want to learn what it means to know that God is God.
 
There is definitely a time for multi-tasking and there are definitely things in my life which require this skill.  But my relationship with God is not one of them.
 
I don't want to pray or read the Bible with my mind elsewhere, with my heart elsewhere. I want to learn how to be a fully committed single-tasker. 
 
I imagine it will be uncomfortable and unfamiliar and frustrating at first, as I am so used to multi-tasking. 
 
But it will be worth it, if it means that I really do know that God is God.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment