Sunday 15 July 2012

Full Repair

Split ends.

I have a love/hate relationship with them.  Of course no one wants split ends, they make your hair feel rough and frizzy and look dull at the ends.  But there is something tremendously satisfying about eradicating them.  Either by finding and trimming or, more severely, by pulling them out from the roots.

As a result of dyeing my hair too often and too much heat styling, I seem to have nothing but split ends.  I have just treated myself to some "Full Repair" Shampoo, Conditioner and Intensive Serum, which I am hoping will transform my dull, dead ends. 

Whilst all of the products will hopefully smooth my hair and improve the look and feel of it, I doubt if it can really fully repair my hair.  What my hair probably needs is a good trim, but I am hoping to postpone the need for a cut as long as possible. 

I am hoping this will be a quick fix for my hair until I can afford a proper cut.

Sometimes we have the same approach to our faith or to the 'broken' things in our lives: rather than taking the plunge and trimming, or "cutting off" the dead things, we look for a quick fix.  We look for something that will smooth things over and improve the look and feel of our lives.

But, in order for us to grow, we need to get rid of the dead things in our lives, not just cover them up or smooth them down.  Jesus said,
"I am the true grapevine, and my Father is the gardener.  He cuts off every branch of mine that doesn't produce fruit, and he prunes the branches that do bear fruit so they will produce even more."
[John 15:1-2 NLT emphasis mine]

The reason for cutting off the dead branches in our lives is not simply to get rid of the things that aren't producing fruit, but in order to ensure more growth.

Sometimes a full repair is only possible with a proper trim.

No comments:

Post a Comment