Wednesday 4 July 2012

It's Not What You Say, It's How You Say It

I was told the other day that I talk a lot with my hands.

We were at a training session about communication and how significant non-verbal features are.  Apparently 70% of what we say is non-verbal. 

Most of what we say isn't with words.

Sometimes we can spend ages thinking about the perfect way to phrase something or the best words to use to help someone to understand our points.  But what really matters is the way we say it.  The tone of our voice, the pace of our voice, the volume of our voice, our eye contact, our body language, our hand gestures...

It's the same when it comes to faith.  Most of what we say about what we believe is non-verbal.  It's in our lifestyles.  And other people look for these things.

We say it in the way we greet them, the way we treat them, the way we handle stress, the way we handle disappointment, the way we comfort others, the way we support others, the way we show kindness, the way we show grace, the way we forgive, the way we forget, the way we give away our love, the way we give away our money.

We say more with our lives than with our words.

What are you saying with your lifestyle?

"Treat everyone you meet with dignity.  Love your spiritual family.  Revere God.  Respect the government."
[1 Peter 2:17, MSG]

"Live wisely among those who are not believers, and make the most of every opportunity."
[Colossians 4:5, NLT]

I talk a lot with my hands.  But I hope that I talk a lot with my lifestyle too.

No comments:

Post a Comment