Thursday 19 July 2012

Scars

Scars.

We all have them.

I have several on my wrists from baking-related incidents and a jelly-fish scar on my upper arm. 

Some people are proud of their scars and love showing them off and recounting how they got them.  Some people will do anything to remove them - there are oils and creams and operations to get rid of them, so that we appear flawless.

And sometimes we have scars on the inside too.

But rather than trying to hide our scars, sometimes they are useful.  As Dumbledore says,
"Scars can come in handy. I have one myself above my left knee that is a perfect map of the London Underground."
Scars can be useful.

They don't have to define us, but they show us what has happened in our lives and, more importantly, what God has done in our lives.  When Jesus was resurrected, He still had scars and it was because of these that the disciples (and Thomas in particular), believed:

"He [Thomas] said, 'Unless I see the nail holes in his hands, put my finger in the nail holes, and stick my hand in his side, I won't believe it.'  Eight days later, his disciples were again in the room.  This time Thomas was with them.  Jesus came through the locked doors, stood among them, and said, 'Peace to you.'  Then he focused his attention on Thomas.  'Take your hand and stick it in my side.  Don't be unbelieving.  Believe.'  Thomas said, 'My master!  My God!'"
[John 20:25-28 MSG]

Scars show our injuries and our pain, but they also show God's healing and His power.  And they can help other people to believe when we aren't afraid to share them.

        "So praise God we don't have to hide scars
        They just strengthen our wounds, and they soften our hearts.
        They remind us of where we have been, but not who we are
        So praise God, praise God we don't have to hide scars
 
        There once was a King who so burdened with grief
        Walked into death so that we could find peace
        He rose up with scars on his hands and his feet
        By them we are healed, by them we are healed.
        So praise God we don't have to hide scars
        Yeah we know His are covering ours."
 
        [Johnny Diaz 'Scars']
 
We can't get rid of the scars on the inside, but we can use them to point people to the one who knows our pain and who can heal us.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment