Thursday 26 July 2012

Tides

Summer has finally arrived: I have been swimming in the sea.

I love swimming in the sea. And I much prefer it to swimming in a pool, or even in the river. I love paddling tentatively at the water's edge; splashing and swimming around in my own space, and the unending blueness that stretches out, blending into the horizon.

And most of all, I love the waves.

I don't pretend to understand in too much detail what creates the waves (I remember a little from GCSE Geography, but not enough to make much sense here), and I understand in even less detail why the tide goes in and out, except that it has something to do with the moon...

What I do know, though, is that the tide is always regular and reliable. Out and in and out and in and out and in.

Like breathing.

Over and over again.

Regardless of the weather, regardless of the time, regardless of the time of year. The tide is constant.

It is the refrain of beach life.

And God's faithful and enduring love is the refrain of our lives.

Psalm 136 was written to remind the Israelites of all of the different times that their God had been with them and it can remind us of His faithfulness too. Each event that is described in the Psalm is followed by "His love never quits" or "His love endures for ever" in the NIV translation.
"Thank God! He deserves your thanks.
His love never quits.
Thank the God of all gods,
His love never quits.
Thank the Lord of all lords.
His love never quits."
[Psalm 136:1-3 MSG]

In the same way that we can trust that the tide will continue its cycle day after day, year after year, we can trust that God's love will continue day after day, year after year. Whatever the circumstances.

His love never quits.

No comments:

Post a Comment