Monday 2 July 2012

Voices

How many times have you watched something and known that you recognise one of the actors, but can't remember their name?  (How did people cope with this frustration in the days before IMDB?)

I was surprised to find myself recognising an actress the other day, not because I recognised her appearance, but because I recognised her voice.  It surprised me because I don't usually consider myself an auditory learner; I have a very visual memory and don't often remember things through hearing. 

But everyone's voice is unique.

Of course, we can put on accents, or change the tone of our voice, or the words that we use in different situations, but we each have a unique and individual voice -
"The sound of each individual's voice is entirely unique not only because of the actual shape and size of an individual's vocal cords but also due to the size and shape of the rest of that person's body, especially the vocal tract, and the manner in which the speech sounds are habitually formed and articulated."
Everyone's voice is different.

That's why when we phone someone we know, we simply say "It's me," knowing that they will know it's us.  They know and recognise our voice.

Jesus said the same thing about His followers - we know and recognise His voice. 
"My sheep recognize my voice. I know them, and they follow me."

[John 10:27]
We recognise His voice by developing a relationship with Him. 

In most new friendships or relationships, there comes a point where we feel comfortable introducing ourselves on the phone with a simple "It's me."  And we feel comfortable to do that when we know that our voice will be recognised, because we know that the other person knows us.  Similarly, Jesus doesn't just want us to know His voice, but to know Him.

And we get to know Him by reading about Him in the Bible and by talking to other Christians and listening to talks and, most obviously, by talking to Him ourselves through prayer.  And the more we practise these things, the more familiar His voice will become.  And although we may hear many other competing voices in the world, we listen to, and follow His.

We know His voice, because we know Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment