Saturday 6 October 2012

Blurred Vision

What a beautiful, sunny Autumnal day.

Clear blue skies, a crisp breeze and bright, warming sunshine.

Annoyingly, I've had something on my sunglasses all day.  A blurry spot which has made the vision in my right eye really hazy and fuzzy.

I haven't been able to remove it, despite repeatedly rubbing it and trying to clean the lens.

I could still see, but not perfectly.

It reminded me of Jesus' message about judging other people:

"Why worry about a speck in your friend’s eye when you have a log in your own? How can you think of saying to your friend, ‘Let me help you get rid of that speck in your eye,’ when you can’t see past the log in your own eye? First get rid of the log in your own eye; then you will see well enough to deal with the speck in your friend’s eye."

[Matthew 7:2-5 NLT]

When our own vision is blurred or distorted in some way, it prevents us from seeing things as they really are.  It prevents us from seeing ourselves or others as they really are.  And it prevents us from seeing God as He really is.

Jesus says until we get our own vision sorted, we won't be able to help or lead others.   I don't think that means that we have to be perfect before we can help others to see, but we need to be aware of our own areas of blindness.   We need to acknowledge our own short-sightedness and our need for help with our vision.

Only then will we be able to see properly.  Only then will we see things as they really are.


No comments:

Post a Comment