Friday 5 October 2012

Insomnia

Ironically, after posting last night about how tired I was, I couldn't sleep.
 
I wasn't even in the least bit sleepy.
 
I tried to sleep for about an hour and didn't feel any sleepier.  I read my book, I wrote in my journal, I listened to some music, and then I tried again.  But with no luck.  I was just as wide awake.
 
Eventually I stopped pretending I was sleepy and I got up.
 
I had some toast, did the washing up that I had left for the morning, tidied my flat, rearranged my furniture, straightened my hair and rang my sister.
 
About three hours after I had first gone to bed, I finally fell asleep.
 
Needless to say, I am exhausted today.
 
But I'm not the only one who was awake last night.  The Bible says that God doesn't sleep either.  Not because He suffers from insomnia and can't drop off, but because He watches over us and protects us in our sleep:
 
"I look up to the mountains - does my help come from there?  My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth!  He will not let you stumble; the one who watches over you will not slumber.  Indeed, he who watches over Israel never slumbers or sleeps."
[Psalm 121:1-3 NLT]
 
Sometimes it's easy to think that God has fallen asleep, that He has dozed off somewhere [as Jesus did when He was in the boat with His disciples], and is unaware of what is going on in our lives.  Sometimes God seems distant and silent and sleepy.  We are left waiting for answers to prayers or solutions to problems whilst, it seems, God snoozes.
 
But He who watches over Israel never slumbers or sleeps.
 
God is always awake, always active, always working for us. 
 
Jesus said,
"My Father is always working, and so am I."
[John 5:17 NLT, emphasis mine]
 
We can rest in peace, because we know that God is always working and looking out for us.  He watches over us to prevent us from stumbling. 
 
So tonight, I hope that I can say, as the Psalmist did -
 
       "I will lie down and sleep in peace,
       for you alone, O Lord,
       make me dwell in safety."
 
       [Psalm 4:8 NIV]
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment