Tuesday 23 October 2012

God and Tattoos

I found myself discussing tattoos today with Year 9.
 
They were describing and drawing what they were hoping to have done when they were old enough to commit their ideas to permanent ink. 
 
One girl told me that her Dad had her name tattooed across his wrist.  Whilst the thought of needles being anywhere near my wrists make me feel more than a little faint, I think the idea of his tattoo being a sign of his love and commitment is lovely. 
 
How reassuring to know that your name is written in permanent ink on your father's hands.
 
The Bible tells us that this is true for us: our names are written on the hands of our Heavenly Father:
 
 
         "I’d never forget you—never.
         Look, I’ve written your names on the backs of my hands."
 
         [Isaiah 49:16 MSG]
 
 
The Amplified Bible goes even further to say,
 
"Behold, I have indelibly imprinted (tattooed a picture of) you on the palm of each of My hands."
 
[Isaiah 49:16 AMP]
 
Indelibly imprinted.  Permanent.  Not just our names, but our images.
 
God knows us individually and personally.  He knows our names.  And He is committed to us. 
 
In the same way that my Year 9's Dad has got her name tattooed on his wrist, as a sign that he is committed to her and will never forget her, so does our heavenly Father have our names tattooed on His hands, as a sign that He is committed to us and will never forget us.
 
Permanently.  Indelibly.  Irrevocably.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment