Sunday 14 October 2012

Deep

When I am in the sea, I love swimming out until I can only just touch the bottom with the very tip of my big toe.

But I panic as soon as I am too far out and am in too deep and I hurriedly swim back to the shallows.

I do the same in life, too. I swim to the edge of my comfort zone, to the edge of my safety, but I always make sure I can still touch the bottom. Just.

And I panic when I go beyond this point, when I am no longer comfortable or in control.

But God calls us to go deeper. To swim out past our comfort zone, to go beyond our feelings of safety and security and control.

I have been reflecting on this verse this morning:
"Deep calls to deep"

[Psalm 42:7 NIV]

I don't fully understand this verse, but I think it relates to the idea that when we are in the depths of something, when we are in the "deep" places and we call out to God, His Spirit will call to us and will meet us there. He is the One urging us into new depths in our understanding of Him.

I think God beckons us into the deeper water, into the deeper walks of life because He longs to do a deep and lasting and profound thing in our hearts and in our lives. He is not interested in us simply playing in the shallows.

And if we are honest, how many of us are interested in staying in the shallows, really?

Yes, it's safe and sheltered and secure. But is it really living? Weren't we made for more?

We were made for deep relationship, with God, with ourselves and with others.

We were made for open waters and deep seas. For a dangerously exciting risky adventure with God.

We were made to go deep. And when we do and we cry out to God, He will meet us there.

No comments:

Post a Comment