Tuesday 15 January 2013

Do Not Be Afraid

The phrase "Do not fear" or "Do not be afraid" is apparently repeated 366 times in the Bible.  I can't say I've checked, but that's certainly a great many times.
 
I wish that I could see it as more than just a suggestion.  I wish it was a permanent reality in my life.
 
But so often I find myself worried or anxious or fearful about a whole range of things - many of which are probably out of my control anyway.
 
One of my favourite Bible verses is about this very thing.  I've set it as the screen lock on my phone so that every time I unlock my phone, I am reminded of this truth that there is no need to fear:
 
"Don't panic.  I'm with you.  There's no need to fear for I'm your God.  I'll give you strength.  I'll help you.  I'll hold you steady, keep a firm grip on you."
 
[Isaiah 41:10 MSG]
 
 
I suppose the point is not that there is nothing to fear, but rather that there is One who is greater than the fear, who will always be with us.
 
I love the words in this song, 'Come To Me' -
 
I am the Lord your God,
I go before you now.
I stand beside you
I’m all around you
And though you feel I’m far away
I’m closer than your breath
I am with you
More than you know

I am the Lord your peace
No evil will conquer you
Steady now your heart and mind
Come into my rest
And oh, let your faith arise
And lift up your weary head
I am with you
Wherever you go

Come to me, I’m all you need
Come to me, I’m everything
Come to me, I’m all you need
Come to me, I’m your everything

I am your anchor, in the wind and the waves
And I am your steadfast, so don’t be afraid
Though your heart and flesh may fail you
I’m your faithful strength
And I am with you
Wherever you go

Come to me, I’m all you need
Come to me, I’m your everything
Come to me, I’m all you need
Come to me, I’m your everything
 
 
 
We need not fear if He is on our side.

No comments:

Post a Comment