Friday 18 January 2013

The Beauty Of Snow

It finally snowed!
 
And snowed and snowed and snowed and snowed and snowed.
 
I got up at 5 to check this morning and was delighted with the sight.
 
I absolutely love the snow.  I love the scrunching crunch of it under your feet as you walk.  I love that it slows the world down and gives us the chance to relax and reflect.  I love how quiet and hushed everything becomes, how everything is muted.  I love that it brings people together to build snowmen and have snowball fights. 
 
But most of all, I love how beautiful the world looks when it is covered in a thick layer of soft snow.
 
Wilhelmina in Ugly Betty says,
 
"Snow is a magical blanket, it hides what's ugly and makes everything beautiful."
 
Snow can make even the ugliest of sights look beautiful.  There is a huge, towering scrap yard a few roads away from my flat, which usually looks pretty monstrous.  But today, even that was transformed into something magical.
 
The Bible describes God's grace as being like snow:
 
 
         "This is God’s Message:
         'If your sins are blood-red,
         they’ll be snow-white.
         If they’re red like crimson,
         they’ll be like wool.'"
 
         [Isaiah 1:18 MSG]

But rather than just covering over the ugliness of life, and hiding it for a while, as snow does, God's grace transforms everything it touches.  So that when it melts away, what is left is more beautiful than before.


No comments:

Post a Comment