Sunday 27 January 2013

The Importance Of Hemming

In my recent sewing endeavours, I have learnt the importance of hemming. 
 
In order to prevent fabric fraying and carefully stitched seams peeling away from each other, it is essential to ensure that the fabric is first hemmed. 
 
I have learnt this the hard way.
 
I have been thinking a lot about Psalm 139 today and one of my favourite verses in it which describes God is this -
 
"You hem me in—behind and before."
[Psalm 139:5 NIV]
 
I love the idea of God being both behind me and in front of me.  I am covered on all sides.  He is literally guarding my back and protecting me out front.  He is in my past and in my future.
 
Inescapable.
 
Rather than making me feel claustrophobic and trapped by this idea that God surrounds me, it makes me feel safe and secure.  I am surrounded on all sides by a God who loves me, protects me, defends me, cares for me, fights for me, is passionate about me, is kind and gentle towards me and who delights in me.
 
And so, like my now-hemmed sewing, I will not fray.  I won't come apart at the seams, because God surrounds me.
H
God hems me in.  Behind and before.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment