Tuesday 22 January 2013

Reduced Visibility

I find driving when it's snowing really quite relaxing. 
 
Not when there's snow or ice on the roads, but just when it happens to be snowing.  I find the falling flakes completely mesmerising as they drift to the ground.  I'm not sure why, but I find it quite calming and soothing.
 
Of course, there is the fact that you can't see very well and therefore have to drive at half the speed you usually would.
 
Every time I stopped at traffic lights, I enjoyed pausing to look up and watch the flakes falling. But as soon as we started moving again, I kept my eyes firmly fixed on the tail lights of the car ahead and let them guide me through the darkening streets. 
 
The Bible advises this in a spiritual sense too,
 
       "Look straight ahead,
       and fix your eyes on what lies before you.
       Mark out a straight path for your feet;
       stay on the safe path.
       Don’t get sidetracked;
       keep your feet from following evil."
 
       [Proverbs 4:25-27 NLT]
 
 
Rather than allowing ourselves to be distracted or mesmerised by things on the sidelines, we should keep our focus fixed on what lies before us.
 
And although there will always be distractions, although we won't get to see things clearly, although we won't get to understand and see things the way God does yet, we will.
 
"We don’t yet see things clearly.  We’re squinting in a fog, peering through a mist.  But it won’t be long before the weather clears and the sun shines bright! We’ll see it all then, see it all as clearly as God sees us, knowing him directly just as he knows us!"
[1 Corinthians 13:12]
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment