Monday 21 January 2013

Hold On Tight

I've been one of those wallies in wellies today.
 
Yes, I looked silly, but I thought I would have looked even sillier if I had fallen on the ice. 
 
Yesterday I found myself clinging on to some helpfully placed railings as I skated along the pavement.  It reminded me of my traumatising ice-skating experiences as a child which were mostly spent gripping onto the edge of the rink and edging my way round.
 
Even in wellies, I have been slipping and sliding all over the place today: it has been very risky underfoot. It has been difficult to get a grip.
 
In the same way, it can sometimes feel a bit slippery underfoot in a spiritual sense, too.  It can feel as though you are sliding out of control and can't quite get a grip on anything.
 
The Bible describes God's love as being what will hold us steady when the ground is slippery:
 
         "The minute I said, 'I’m slipping, I’m falling,
         your love, God, took hold and held me fast."
 
        [Psalm 94:18 MSG]
 
 
This verse doesn't say that God made the ground smooth, or that He took away the 'slipperiness'.  Instead, He promises to hold our hands tightly as we walk over the slippery parts of life.
 
So that rather than clinging onto the edge of the ice-rink of life, we can let go and trust in God's love which will always keep a tight hold on us.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment