Wednesday 2 January 2013

New Year's Resolutions

I've never really been one for New Year's Resolutions.  I don't see the point.  Surely it's just setting yourself up for a failure?  Why, just because it is the start of a new year, am I suddenly going to be able to start doing something or to stop doing something I haven't managed before?
 
No, New Year's Resolutions are not for me.
 
However, they are all around at the moment and I am even more aware of their use in advertising campaigns in shops this year.  Signs shout at you from different stores with suggested resolutions: Must be more organised hovers above the stationary and home office supplies.  Must lose weight shouts at you from the healthy food aisles.  Must wake up earlier is positioned persuasively near to the alarm clocks.
 
And each of these things are good in themselves, but I object to them interfering in my shopping and I object to the insinuation that a shop cares about anything apart from my wallet.
 
No, New Year's Resolutions are not for me.
 
However, that being said, I do think it's a good time of year to reflect on our values and consider the year ahead.
"Let us strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily trips us up.  And let us run with endurance the race God has set before us.  We do this by keeping our eyes on Jesus, the champion who initiates and perfects our faith."
 
[Hebrews 12:1-2 NLT]
 
This year, I have no intentions of setting any resolutions.  But I want to spend some time re-evaluating my life.  I want to lose metaphorical 'weight' this year - the things in my life and in my heart which slow me down and so easily trip me up.
 
I want to run a different race this year.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment