Tuesday 1 January 2013

First Footing

There is a Scottish/Northern English New Year's tradition called 'First Footing' which we take part in every year.

The first foot across the threshold in the New Year must bring several gifts, all of which symbolise good things for the year to come: money (financial security), bread (food for the year), coal (heating and warmth), salt (flavour) and alcohol (good cheer).

It's a lovely symbol and makes us stop and think for a short while about what we allow into our homes - on this first day of the year, and throughout the year to come.

It made me think about what I allow into my heart and my mind too. Do I just accept anything that wanders in, or do I think about my thoughts and only allow those things in which will bring health and wellbeing?

It's easy to get caught up in negative and destructive thought patterns, but the Bible advises,

"I'd say you'll do best by filling your minds and meditating on things true, noble, reputable, authentic, compelling, gracious—the best, not the worst; the beautiful, not the ugly; things to praise, not things to curse."

[Philippians 4:8 MSG]

These are good things to fill my mind with, both on the first day of this new year and for the rest of the year.

Perhaps I need to give myself a mental 'First-Footing' and decide what thoughts I want to allow into my mind for the year to come.


No comments:

Post a Comment