Sunday 4 November 2012

Do I Prefer James Bond to Jesus?

I am James Bond fan.
 
James Bond is daring and adventurous and brave.  He is confident and courageous.  He doesn't run from danger.  He confronts his enemies.  He kills the baddies and he always comes out on top. 
 
And, in contrast, Jesus is ... Meek?  Mild?  Gentle?  Polite?
 
If I'm honest, I probably do prefer James Bond to Jesus.  But that's because my perception of Jesus is limited and restricted.  It is shaped by a stereotype, not by the truth of who Jesus really is.
 
We seem to have a cultural stereotype of Jesus who is weak and timid and softly spoken.  Someone who is completely out of touch with the realities of the difficulties of life.  Someone who only wants to talk about the 'clean' and neat and tidy things.
 
There is definitely a gentle, vulnerable side to Jesus - the Bible says that He humbled Himself by dying for us on the cross.  But there is also a passionate, aggressive side.  There is a man who will stop at nothing until He sees His people restored and redeemed.
 
When Jesus revealed His purpose and mission, He quoted the prophet Isaiah:
 
"The Spirit of God, the Master, is on me
because God anointed me.
He sent me to preach good news to the poor,
heal the heartbroken,
Announce freedom to all captives,
pardon all prisoners.

God sent me to announce the year of his grace—
a celebration of God’s destruction of our enemies—
and to comfort all who mourn,
To care for the needs of all who mourn in Zion,
give them bouquets of roses instead of ashes,
Messages of joy instead of news of doom,
a praising heart instead of a languid spirit.
Rename them “Oaks of Righteousness”
planted by God to display his glory.
They’ll rebuild the old ruins,
raise a new city out of the wreckage.
They’ll start over on the ruined cities,
take the rubble left behind and make it new."

[Isaiah 61:1-4 MSG]
 
This is a vision of someone who is passionate and proactive.  Someone who will free captives and pardon prisoners.  Someone who will heal our wounds and comfort those who mourn.  Someone who will care for our needs and will help us with the difficult task of rebuilding our ruined lives.
 
And Isaiah gives us another vision of this angry, passionate Jesus, whose heart is set on our redemption.  And it is a vision which could just as easily be describing one of James Bond's scenes -
 
       "I went ahead and did it myself,      
       I was set on vengeance.
       The time for redemption had arrived [...]
       Fed and fuelled by my rage.
       I trampled the people in my anger,
       crushed them under foot in my wrath,
       soaked the earth with their lifeblood."
 
       [Isaiah 63:4,6 MSG]
 
Do I prefer James Bond to Jesus?
 
Sometimes. 
 
But only until I look at who Jesus really is and what He has really done for me.


 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment