Friday 16 November 2012

Presents and Presence

As Christmas creeps on to the horizon (and, more importantly, my birthday), thoughts turn to presents.
 
You have perhaps seen the play on words in wedding or birthday invitations: It's your presence we want, not your presents.*  Or No presents thanks, it's your presence that counts!
 
There is something powerful and significant about our presence - about being present in a situation.  Not just being there in person, whilst our hearts or minds are distracted.  But being really present.
 
When we are really present, we can connect with people properly.  We are completely focused on them.  We can listen to what they're saying and what they're not saying, but longing for us to hear. 
 
When we are really present, we share something of ourselves with others.
 
It's the same with the presence of God, too.
 
When we enter His presence, we learn something of who He is. 
 
I have had the words of two songs about being in God's presence on my heart for the last few days.
 
The first is 'I Love Your Presence':
 
         "In the glory of Your presence
         I find rest for my soul
         In the depths of Your love
         I find peace
         Makes me whole

         I love, I love, I love Your presence
         I love, I love, I love Your presence
         I love, I love, I love You Jesus
         I love, I love, I love Your presence."
 
And the second is from 'Set a Fire' by United Pursuit Band:
       "No place I would rather be,
       No place I would rather be,
       No place I would rather be,
       Than here in your love,
       Here in your love."
 
This desire to be in God's presence is something that David understood.
 
        "The one thing I ask of the Lord —
        the thing I seek most—
        is to live in the house of the Lord all the days of my life,
        delighting in the Lord's perfections
        and meditating in his Temple."
 
       [Psalm 27:4 NLT]
 
Is this really the one thing I want?  The one thing I desire?  Is it the thing I seek the most?  Is there really no place I would rather be?
 
I'm not sure.  Probably not.  But I want to want it to be.  For it is in God's presence that we find rest for our souls and peace that makes us whole.
 
It is in God's presence that we find ourselves. 

 
 
 
 
*FYI This doesn't swing with me, I'm much more of a presents girl.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment