Friday 2 November 2012

How Much Is Enough?

I overheard this quote today: "Since when has anyone ever had 'enough money'?"
 
How true is that?
 
When asked how much money was enough, J D Rockefeller - one of the richest men in the world - famously replied "Just a little bit more!"
 
We never seem to have enough money to satisfy us.  We always want more.
 
Not always a lot more.  Just enough to pay the bills and have a little bit left over.  Enough to buy branded food products.  Enough to not have to look for vouchers and discount codes to save a few pennies or pounds.  Enough to feel comfortable.
 
Just a little bit more.
 
But it's not just money.  We can easily find ourselves looking to other things to satisfy us.  Things which will bring us meaning and fulfilment. 
 
Money.  Fashion.  Accessories.  Technology.  Mortgage.  Careers.  Relationships.  Marriage.  Sex.  Children...
 
But none of these things will ever truly satisfy us - they always leaving us wanting more.
 
How much is enough?
 
God is the only One who can satisfy the desires of our hearts.
 
"The Lord is my shepherd;
I have all that I need.

[Psalm 23:1 NLT, emphasis mine] 
 
"God, the one and only—
I’ll wait as long as he says.
Everything I need comes from him,
so why not?
He’s solid rock under my feet,
breathing room for my soul,
An impregnable castle:
I’m set for life."
[Psalm 62:1-2 MSG, emphasis mine]

God is the only one who is enough. 


 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment