Monday 12 November 2012

It's Not Me, It's You

It's not you, it's me.
 
And so ends many a film or TV relationship.  Unable to compromise and make things work, a couple will break up, with one person uttering these infamous words and blaming the breakdown of the relationship on their own failures and shortcomings.
 
We seem to apply the same idea to a relationship with God, too.  We seem to think that God's love is influenced by our failures and shortcomings.  We think it is dependent on who we are and what we've done or not done.  We seem to think that we can alter His opinion of us by doing the right thing.
 
But having a list of 'dos and 'do nots' is religion.  Not relationship.
 
When it comes to a relationship with God, it's not about me.
 
When it comes to God's love, it's not about us or what we do or don't do.  It's about Him.
 
I recently read or heard (I can't remember which and, annoyingly, I can't remember where), an argument between two people about whether or not God could and would love them.  One of them said, "But you don't know me.  God couldn't love me.  Not after everything I've done."
 
This is something that many of us can relate to - it resounds deeply inside us.  You don't really know me - you don't know what I'm like.  If God knows everything about me, then He couldn't love me.  I'm not good enough.
 
But the second person in the above argument replied brilliantly: "You're right, I don't know you at all.  But I don't need to.  I know God.  And I know that He's a God who loves us relentlessly."
 
When it comes to a relationship with God, it starts and ends with Him.
"We love because He first loved us."
 
[1 John 4:19 NIV]
And
"This is how God showed his love among us: He sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live through him.  This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins."
[1 John 4:9-10 NIV]
 
It doesn't start with us, and it doesn't depend on us.
 
It's not me.  It's You.
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment