Monday 26 November 2012

What Do I Really Want?

I always find it difficult compiling a list of suggested presents for my birthday or Christmas.  Not because I can't think of things, but because I can think of too many things and I feel the need to narrow the list down, so as not to look too greedy.
 
It is easy to make a long list of all sorts of frivolous things that I would like. Things which would feel like a treat, because I don't really need them but they're pretty. Or things which I do need, but can't really afford.
 
I find myself asking What do I really want?  
 
Jesus asks us the same thing.
 
John recounts how John the Baptist's followers saw Jesus one day and started following him.
 
"Turning around, Jesus saw them following and asked, 'What do you want?'”
[John 1:38 NIV]
 
And He asks us the same thing.  What do you want?

To know He exists?  To know He cares?  To know forgiveness?  To be able to forgive?  To feel loved?  To have a new job, or a new car, or a new house?  To have more money?  To move beyond just surviving?
 
Often, we don't know what we really want.  Or we don't want to admit what we really want.  Especially as Christians - sometimes our 'wants' can seem not 'Christian' enough. 

But Jesus sees into the heart of things and He wants us to share our dreams and our desires with Him, regardless of how 'Christian' they might seem.
 
Paul urges us to share our whole hearts with God:
 
"Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done."

[Philippians 4:6 NLT]
 
So, what do you really want?
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment