Sunday 25 November 2012

Why Tidying Is Not Always A Good Thing

Whenever people come round to my flat, I always feel the need to tidy things up a bit - even if all I do is 'neaten' the mess.
 
The other day, before a friend came round, I only had time to complete one task.  I found myself thinking: I'll do the washing up rather than the ironing.  Having my washing out is a sign that I am clean - I have done my washing.  But having dirty dishes stacked up seems dirty and unclean.
 
I made my mess 'acceptable'.
 
Or if I haven't had time to tidy, I find myself apologising and telling people to forgive or ignore the mess.
 
I was challenged today by how I do this spiritually as well: I present my 'problems' in a tidy package.  I make my mess 'acceptable'.  Or I apologise for it and ask people to ignore it.
 
I was trying to think of what would be an appropriate response to someone seeing the messiness of my life - both the literal mess and the spiritual mess.
 
Asking them to ignore it or forgive it or imagine it's not there is neither possible nor helpful.  Frantically rushing around before they arrive to tidy up (or panicking over unplanned guests), leaves me exhausted and wondering if I've missed a bit.
 
Perhaps a much better response would be to say, Here is my mess, please could you help me sort it out?
 
I want to be honest about my struggles and my mess.  Because in honesty there is freedom.  And because no one can help you clear up the mess if you don't let them see it.
 
The Psalmist wrote,
 
"And me?  I'm a mess.  I'm nothing and have nothing: make something of me. You can do it; you've got what it takes."
 
[Psalm 40:17 MSG] 
 
God does have what it takes to make something of us.  But first we have to acknowledge and own our mess.  Rather than hiding it, or ignoring it and asking others to ignore it too.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment