Thursday 29 November 2012

Il Dolce Far Niente

Il dolce far niente.

The sweetness of doing nothing.

I'm always envious of those people who seem to enjoy doing nothing.  Not always doing nothing, but having guilt-free moments of doing nothing.  Just resting, relaxing, enjoying the company of others, or enjoying being by themselves.
 
I am not very good at doing that.
 
I am usually too busy trying to do something, trying to be busy.  Even when I am 'resting', I will be thinking about other things, or I will check my phone, or my emails or do a bit of internet shopping.
 
I am the queen of multi-tasking.
 
I struggle to separate my worth and my value from what I do.  I think that the more I do, the more valuable I will be.  The more God will approve of me.  I struggle to feel valuable or approved when I am doing nothing.
 
But I'm getting better.
 
I'm learning that I am not defined by what I do or don't do, and am allowing myself to have moments of doing nothing.  And to actually enjoy them.
 
I love this verse which talks about being in the moment and forgetting everything else, to enjoy God's presence.
 
"Now listen daughter, don't miss a word: forget your country, put your home behind you.  Be here - the King is wild for you."
 
[Psalm 45:11 MSG]
 
I love this translation.
 
Be hereThe King is wild for you.
 
God is wild for me.  When I am doing nothing.  When I am enjoying doing nothing.
 
Nothing I do changes the way He feels about me.
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment